Monday, January 23, 2012

Media Example #1- Week of 1/23

This example comes to us from Lia Alberti.


Here is what she has to say:
"For years I have religiously read the magazine, Glamour, which I find an incredibly empowering magazine for young women. It is always full of Horatio Alger stories of charismatic women as well as useful, practical advice to live by. One of the advice columnists I have come to love is a man who writes anonymously under the penname “Jake” who “tells is like it is” from a males perspective on dating. Every few years the writer “Jake” will be replaced by another anonymous man who will follow in his advice giving footsteps. There was one specific Jake writer that I had liked specifically and he wrote this article of his learned lessons as a writer of love. I like his conversationalist-type writing and how honest and relatable he is able to portray himself. This link goes to his final article that he wrote for Glamour before he was replaced. I had followed his articles and had read about all his past girlfriends up until he found “the one”, a woman he calls Strawberry (because of the lip-gloss she wore on their first date), so to see him leave was a sad moment for me but I am happy to see he leaves the magazine in high spirits and in deep love."

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this article. I think it's a brilliant idea for female magazines to have male writers to bring a new perspective...it's enlightening! Jake's style of writing is really interesting...I like that he is writing an advice column but it doesn't feel like he is. Being an avid reader of all feminine magazines, I'm no stranger to the advice column and how bleak and dull it can be to get through. Half the time, the advice articles are just regurgitating facts we already know, and there isn't any structure or flow to it which makes it boring as hell to read. Jake however, was not boring at all to read. The fact that he gave advice through his own life examples made it really relatable and easy to read.

    ReplyDelete