Sunday, February 26, 2012

Media Example #10- Week of 2/20

Here is Caroline's example:


Recently I have noticed college themed memes being posted on Facebook. The first page of memes I saw was for Clemson University. I loved it! I mean, truly loved it! I instantly wondered if there was a College of Charleston meme page. I also wondered that if there wasn’t, how long it would take for someone to come up with it. Within days, I found what appeared to be a new Facebook group called CofC Memes. Already, there are several memes that have gained significant popularity. Over 200 likes on one posted meme, and the CofC Memes page has over 2,000 “likes.” There is a link to www.memegenerator.net for all users to create and submit their own memes to the group easily.www.memegenerator.netwww.memegenerator.net Some of the memes are the exact same within different campus communities. These are ones that are pretty universal across colleges.

For example:

This one can be used for multiple campuses—even high schools. Yet, the situation presented can relate to many students, former students, and probably educators.

Several are unique to the College of Charleston. People have created and submitted their own memes in relation to events and characteristics of the College. Some examples are:

Personally, I enjoy spending my time reading through these memes. My roommates and I will even bring them up in conversation saying, “Have you seen the one that….?” Based on the number of likes on the page and the growing popularity, I am not the only one who is talking. I think these school meme pages are an excellent way to create a greater sense of community within our College. I hope people continue to create and post more memes onto this page for a long time. Who knows? Maybe I will come up with one someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment